Wednesday 18 December 2013

Transforming MJ

I have been overweight all my life. As an infant, my parents fought maximum over who would carry me. As a teenager, I struggled to get skirts for school uniform in my size and bore the brunt of all the subtle and not so subtle jibes. As a college student and young professional, I mostly stuck to Indian traditional wear which was more forgiving of the excess baggage I carry.

Ironical then, that I am the lightest I have been as a young mother to an infant.  Pregnancy and post-birth period were good for me in that I found myself lighter than my starting point. Maybe thanks to yoga, good nutrition and lack of a hectic cubicle lifestyle.

But I am still overweight, by a cool 10 kgs if not more. More important still, I am nowhere close to as fit as I would like to be. I feel the lack of energy and it affects every part of my life. I have read a lot about eating healthy but still struggle to put our meals together in a way that's healthy and tasty.

I have been dabbling in a little bit of this and little bit of that. Yoga classes here, some running there. Long evening walks with my son in the stroller. Some healthy eating habits. But it doesn't move the needle in a meaningful way, making it very easy to relapse to poor habits.

So I am doing the hitherto unthinkable and signing up with a personal trainer. Kriss Nicole will be my fitness coach and nutritional adviser for the next 3 months (or longer).

I am going to do as she says and I will capture it all here. There is going to be a transformation. I just know it.

Keep tabs on me, will you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment